Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Our Homestead!


Blake, Ava & Daddy husking the corn.

This is what 300 ears of corn looks like!
First we got 300 ears of corn, which took me two days to husk, clean, cook, cut and bag.  I know that this winter I will thrilled to reap the rewards of these two days.    We do have corn planted, but I was worried we wouldn't get enough to last us this winter.  We ran out in January and our family loves fresh corn.  In fact once you have fresh corn nothing else will satisfy you.  We were able to give 100 ears to my parents as a small token of our thanks for all the help they give us during the year...to many small and big things to even begin to list.  We just hope that even though Hallmark doesn't make a card for all the things they do for us that they know they are very appreciated.



Blake and his cousin Amanda on top of a truck load of potatoes.


Ava holding a potato.  This girl loves to get dirty!
 Wednesday night Uncle Jim, Dustin (Lori's son), Uncle Sam, Aunt Esther, Amanda, Brianna, Ed, Blake, Ava and myself picked potatoes.  We ended up with 18 buckets (5 gallon buckets) full and each took home 6 buckets full!  Let's just say if you come to our house or we bring a dish 9 times out 10 it will be a potato dish.  If you ever are stuck for a potato dish I now have 3 outside the typical mashed, baked or broiled regulars.




Proud to be helping and not watching on the sidelines.


Daddy and Ava working on snapping beans.
 Now we are picking beans!  Luckily my kids do love green veggies unlike my farmer friend Holly who is pleased to have one child eating something green.  Ed picks them, I wash them and the kids and I snap them and I can them when the kids are napping.  I am hoping to get 50-60 quarts from our garden.  The good thing about green beans is that more come on every time you pick them and of course the rain this week has been helpful.

We also picked strawberries, which was on a previous blog and we picked and froze peas.  I wish we had more peas because we all like them too, but we have a few containers in our freezer.  Peas just don't go far once they are shelled. 

I hope you enjoyed our garden story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment