Monday, November 14, 2011

Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie

I am not one that boasts about her cooking, because I don't feel that I am a good cook.  I get by and I like to cook and bake, evidence is on my hips, butt, stomach, etc.
I came across this recipe in one of my magazines and gave it a whirl with a few tweaks.  My husband says it is his favorite, which is high praise since his mom is a wonderful chief.

Turkey Pot Pie (great for upcoming holiday, but I used Chicken)

2 cups Turkey or Chicken (I used an oven roaster, one that it is oven ready, just put in a roasting pan and bake)
1 cup stuffing (I used the box type because it has all the seasonings in it) if you don't have stuffing or prefer not use stuffing add 1 onion, chopped some dried herbs and salt & pepper
2 cups mixed veggies (I used leftovers from dinner: corn and peas, but can add frozen veggies)
1/2 cup chicken broth (used all the drippings from roasted chicken)
2 cups cream of chicken soup (1 -2 cans depends how thick you want it)
1 pie crust (get from store or make at home)

Combine all ingredients except pie crust in a saucepan.  Heat until warmed through and herbs release fragrance.  Use more or less soup to find a thickness to your liking.  Pour into individual ramekins, I used casserole dishes or use deep dish pie pan and cover with pie crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden and flaky.

* I made 7 meals with one roasted chicken!  The first night we just ate off the roasted chicken, night two I used chicken and mixed with rice and then I made 3 casseroles.  You can freeze them and then it will need to bake for 1hour at 350.
* This week at Martins or Giant the Chickens I use are on sale for $8.99.

I made my own pie crust, because I had the ingredients on hand so here is the recipe for pie crusts.

1 Tbsp sugar
4 cups flour
2tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup Crisco

1 egg - beaten
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 cup water

Combine sugar, flour and salt.

Add Crisco - cut into dry mixture until coarse

Beat egg, vinegar and water together and add to dry ingredients.

Makes 4-5 crusts depending on how thin you make them.  You can refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment