Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Legacy Lives On!

Every Christmas Eve since I can remember my Dad baked a big ham for us to eat on Christmas Day.  My Dad is a great cook, meaning he spends lots of time laboring over his food.  We all marvel over the savory smells and the taste is better than anything I have ever tasted.  In fact we would moan on Christmas Eve because it would make everyone hungry.  I knew my Mom always bought an Esskay Silver Label Ham and my Dad used a spicy mustard, but I never took the time to learn more, until now.  Right before Thanksgiving I saw they had these special hams on sale and I had a coupon (one in recent paper too) plus $6 off my order.  I got a free 18 lb. turkey and a 9 lb. ham for $7.87.  Great deal!  I put the ham in the freezer and Monday took it out to thaw and called my dad for his recipe.  Let's just say my dad has a way with words and it isn't always pretty.  Honestly you should see my directions with arrows and then he was just giving me steps out of order, but it was all worth it last night as my family sat down for a delicious ham, fresh green beans from our summer garden and fresh mashed potatoes also from our garden.  My family awoke from napping they way I would on Christmas Day smelling a delicious ham cooking in the oven that would make your mouth water.  I was so proud of my meal that I sent my parents some ham and fresh baked cookies.   Thanks Dad may your ham recipe live on through our family and maybe even some others too.

Here is Joseph's Mouth Watering Ham Recipe:

1 Esskay Silver Label Ham
Apple cider vinegar
Gulden's Spicy Mustard
1 c. Brown Sugar + some for on top of ham (step 4)
Whole brown cloves (take them out when eating they are very spicy)

1.  Spray roaster with cooking spray and add some water to bottom (this is prevent scrubbing your pan for days...which I am now doing)
2.  Put ham on rack and rub or pour some apple cider vinegar on top of ham.
3.  Score ham and place whole cloves at each intersection.
4.  Sprinkle top with brown sugar.
5.  Put in oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours (for 9 lb. ham)
6.  After an hour and half of baking pour mixture of 1 cup brown sugar mixed with 1/3 cup spicy mustard.  I used a spoon to make sure ham was well coated. 
7.  Continue to bake for a 1/2 hour
8.  Last 10-15 minutes turn your oven to broil to make top a little crispy.  Now I didn't do this step because I cooked mine for 2 hours and it was slightly crispy.

Can you smell it?


1 comment: