Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sara's Training for a 5K!

Well, all of you know that I am not a "runner" type.  I have never enjoyed running nor have ever considered trying.  I'm more the dancer, cheerleader and aerobic type. 
Last July,  I got this brainy idea to train to run in the Firecracker 5K in Waynesboro.  I figured I needed a year to train this poor, outshape "mommy" body.  Last summer I enlisted the help of my nieces, Lauren and Breanna, to babysit Blake and Ava while I ran on the treadmill downstairs (don't ask why the nonrunner would have a treadmill, maybe I secretedly wanted to be a runner).  It started out well, but then I thought I should also clean my house while I had extra hands and time.  My sweet Ava was not a great sleepeer, so I average 3 hours of sleep a day and it was hardly ever a straight 3 hours!  By September of 2010 I was not even attempting to run.  In November we celebrated my wonderful son Blake's birthday and I saw my picture and was not pleased.  I asked my "Santa" parents for and ipod for x-mas, which they happily provided for me along with an itunes gift card to get me started.  I hit the treadmill full speed in January and lost 15-20lbs!  You would have thought that would be enought to keep me going, but then February came and we had a lot of parties to plan.  My beautiful baby daughter, Ava, turned the big 1, the Super Bowl had to celebrated especially with my team in it, and we host the Feb. gathering on my husband's side of the family.  Not to mention my kids got sick for a week too.  I may have ran 2-4 times that month, not a good way to train.  March I got back on the treadmill and was successful, April was rough once again with parties and illness.  Now I am a mere 5 1/2 weeks away from the big day and I am sweeting bullets. 
I am very proud today because I can run a mile under 12 minutes, which was a goal and 2 1/2 miles in just over 30min. which was a goal too.  My top goal would be to run the 5k in 35 minutes or to not have to hitch a ride on the firetrucks (the parade is directly after the run).  I will keep all posted on my training and the big day.  I know this will keep you on the end of your chairs:)

1 comment: